Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Afterglow

Today I finally got the decorations off the Christmas tree. The family convinced me to leave the tree up longer than I wanted during holidays. Although I knew that meant I wouldn't get the tree down till school started again in the New Year, I obliged. We all love the ambiance of the tree lit room.

I have been enjoying the afterglow of Christmas in our family life as well. In an earlier blog I had commented on our family tradition of picking names and buying relational gifts and giving away "saved" money. I have been enjoying seeing this tradition grow and take roots in our lives. The authentic excitement that's growing to give gifts and the desire to use them together makes me giddy just thinking about it.
One of the gifts I gave Megan was the cookbook, "Mennonite Girls Can Cook". She loves being in the kitchen and in fact just tonight as I was tucking her into bed she said, "I think I'd like to make the supper meals for a whole week!" I'm feeling like there is no such gift as a selfless one as I ponder the benefits...

I have been enjoying the rewards of "doing gifts" together and the anticipation of it.




I've been enjoying the huge smiles, you know the kind that you can't suppress even if you try, when I hear requests for using a shared gift, like sitting together under a cozy throw for a snuggle and hot drink.

Early in January we decided as a family how to spend the money saved through cutbacks in daily spending throughout the season. We kept a running list on the fridge during the season and each child was able to pick something from the World Vision catalogue, something they had wished for at the onset. I think my favorite moment was when one of the kids said, "you know, it wasn't really that hard, we should keep doing that".







In the beginning of new year when resolutions and hope are abundant, we dream of more, of how we can give more and be more. We contemplate our dreams, our spending, our daily actions, our habits and our free time.
I think about my fitness videos and how fitness guru Jillian Michaels encourages us to give it all we've got especially when our energy is high at the beginning of a workout. And how really all it takes is a bit of focussed time each day. A commitment. It may hurt for awhile while when we're in it but all of a sudden it's over and we've grown stronger from it.

In the afterglow, I'm hopeful because of God's faithfulness to change and grow hearts.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment