Sunday, April 22, 2012

Inspiration On An April Day

I was recently in a group building workshop environment. It was set up like speed dating, something I've only ever seen on TV. We had a minute to ask each other questions and were given a question sheet as a guideline if needed. It was a fun and thought provoking experience. The questions on the sheet ranged from interests and favorite trips to what would you do if you knew the world was ending in 2012. I was asked the second question and ones like it, (if there was one thing you could do before you died), enough times to solidify a few answers in my mind.

If I knew the world would end in 2012? I would want to live as fully as possible, my moments would be important, EVERYTHING would be important. Family, flavours, friends, time spent, colours, neighbors, the words I speak, what I do, what I study, reactions...I wouldn't want to waste a minute. I would want it all to count, I would want to experience God's salvation in each moment.

I read in the Psalms how David prays and am inspired by his God consciousness. I read about how he is in the heat of a moment, like fleeing for his very life, and God is his focus. How God acts and is, is central to how David acts and is. I want to live like that! Fully aware of God. Fully aware of the opportunity in each moment.

I have been inspired since the workshop to live with this kind of intention. Being thankful and counting gifts is one way to foster this. My renewed discipline of searching for gifts to be grateful .... at the end of the day my gratitude list looked something like this:

...Highlight of my lunch break was waiting in the van with the kids and choosing to indulge in their interest in story telling instead of my own impatience.

...Cucumbers in a ham and cheese sandwich.

...Eating my daughter's amazing monster cookies. The mixture of peanut butter and smarties...

...Tech support for using a new program.

...Laughing hard at the supper table together.

...Hearing my kids sing together in the car on the way to an evening movie. The care free "doo-dooing". The purity of their voices.

...The flavor of buttered popcorn.

...Sitting beside my son in a movie and watching his imagination take him into the story.

...Understanding a bit more of what memorized scripture on the tongue, our words, really means...what seemed so harsh, it's TRUTH!

...Unsolicited help for folding laundry.

How about you? What would your gratitude list look like?


No comments:

Post a Comment