Saturday, November 7, 2009

By Reason of Christ

Hello Ladies,

Just wanted to send a word of encouragement out to you as you work through your last week of homework in this series. God's word through this study is speaking deeply into my life situations right now! God is amazing!

When working through Psalm 133 and reading Peterson's, "A Long Obedience in the Same Direction", I was reminded, no, more like hit over the head with a few things he said.

"No Christian is an only child."
and
"The Bible knows nothing of a religion that is defined by what a person does inwardly in the privacy of thought or feeling, or apart from others on lonely retreat. When Jesus was asked what the great commandment was he said, Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul and with all your mind, and then immediately before anyone could make a private religion out of it riveted it to another: A second is like it, you shall love your neighbor as yourself." Matt. 22: 34-40

Being in a totally new situation in life; new place, full time school for all my children, no current out-of-home employment, new relationships...it allows for more time to be introspective, to study and to well, be an introvert! I am completely enjoying this time and feeling very thankful to have this opportunity right now. However, it would be easy for me to think that my spiritual growth could take place here alone - just God and I. Time alone with God is essential but the words I read last night reminded me that I am surrounded by family and by neighbors and by church. At times it seems it would be easier to just go at some things alone and to decide not to include some relationships in the journey. This morning I knew that I couldn't do that with the relationship being contemplated.

I loved the exercise from Beth this morning to list several things he or she is "by reason of Christ" (page 161). To see people as God would see them and to wonder what God will do today in the life of this person, how will He reveal Himself to them, to what new heights will He take them? Often times I need something tangible like that to hang on to and to help me take the next step.

The exercise didn't come easy at first. I have been a reluctant spectator on this but as I was reminded of our memory passage I was able to pray about it and my list of things about this person became longer than the line could hold.

I have been praying for forgiveness in this relationship and as the day went on realized that this seemed to be an important step.

...My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth...He will not allow your foot to slip...

How about you? What is an important truth you are learning about being on a journey in community?

1 comment:

  1. As we conclude our study I have had a chance to reflect over the past 6 weeks. For some of us this has not been an easy time, there has been pain, there has been suffering and for some there has been recent loss of loved ones.

    If there is one desire I have for all of us it is that we would be able to worship God in the rain. Worship God in the darkest moments of our lives because that will be our greatest and most initmate moments of praise. That is the heart of a true worshipper.

    For me as well it has been a tough 6 weeks. Lots has gone wrong and there has been many times I have been on my face crying, but in that all, I have come to God with my face upward saying You alone are Holy and to You I give my life and my praise. He alone is worthy.

    I am reminded of a song of old, from Mercy Me - Bring The Rain. It is how I feel about Him and the things we have been through as a family. I encourage you to check out the link at the end and copy and paste it to view the video. I believe God speaks to us through music and I believe that something in our souls is awakened when we truly worship God. When we don't care if we are in tune, or how good we sound, when we just sing from the depths of our souls and praise Him. He smiles at that kind of worship that kind of song cause it comes from deep within. It is a song and a prayer that is awakened in the night, of a tear stained pillow.
    It is the joy that comes after a night of weeping, it will come cause it does not come from us. IT comes from when we realize who He is despite what we have been through.

    So today I publically thank God for all that we have been through these past 6 weeks not only as a family but as sisters in Christ.

    I pray that we will continue to worship God in private on our faces and that as we cry out to Him, He will bless us with His presence.

    AS the song says,
    "I can count a million times people asking me how I, can praise you with all that I've gone through.

    The question just amazes me, could circumstances possibly change who forever am in You.

    To turn my back on You O Lord, my only shelter from the storm, but intead I draw closer through this time.

    So I pray.................
    Bring me joy, bring me peace, bring the chance to be free, bring me anything that brings you glory. And I know there will be days when this life brings me pain, but if that's what it takes to praise You......Jesus bring the rain.

    Thanks You God for helping me see that in order to draw near, the rain must fall. Thanks for helping me see the promise of the sun in the midst of the darkest night. To you all glory and honor alone belong.

    For You are the Lord God almighty, You alone.....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8HgAVenbUU

    ReplyDelete