Sunday, February 27, 2011

Confessions of a Note Taker

Last week I subbed a high school class where I was asked to teach note taking. The request solicited many dismissive gestures, eye rolls, slumped posture,slamming books, ripping paper. Their disdain was obvious. Students tried all sorts of variations and short cuts like taking pictures with their phones promising later transfer and highlighting on the computer.

I think I understand their position. Although my perspective was different the learning outcome was likely similar. I remember being in high school and making notes. I remember and taste the success of goal achieved. The key was efficiency and quantity. Quantity was as good an indication of being on the right track as anything. I added in neatness and organization for good measure - headings and under linings and a special spot for definitions. Colour coding was the ultimate bonus!

I stood looking at the kids in class desperate to find a way to pass along the importance of good note taking. Why was this so important to me?

I guess it is here that I should probably confess that I am an avid note taker. I love recording things. I love pens, paper and the thought of learning something new. However, like anything I have realized that it can become a goal in itself. After this many years of living, quantity and speed aren't great goals of achievement if the learning is peripheral.

In a book that I am completely engrossed in called, "One Thousand Gifts," by Ann Voskamp is the following quote,
"Hurry and impatience are sure marks of the amateur."

Reading that completely stopped me in my tracks.

I am an amateur in so many ways!

Is my note taking a pseudo learning shortcut? Is it an exercise in looking studious or a true reflection of taking in information? Do I take notes so I can refer to them and ponder them? Do I wrestle with the ideas by flipping them back and forth, frontwards and backwards? Do I think things through and persevere to gain understanding?

Do I come late for things because I truly don't know how long it takes to perform certain tasks?

Which situations do I need to discipline immediately? Which ones need an unhurried response?

Why do I misread so many instructions or recipes?...

Taking this quote along with me as I go about my living has made me more aware of the what's, when's, where's, why's, how's and who's of hurry in my life. It is making me aware of all that I am missing in the moment to get to where I think importance is waiting. Living for a destination just means that I regard only me - appointed times as important. If I remember to slow in the now, I can savour the gift that is right in front of me, the opportunity to most carefully help my child out the door, or the fun of enjoying a game with the kids while waiting in a vehicle for a dead battery to warm up. It is when we slow to work through something thoroughly and intentionally that the Spirit of God is able to meld together our note taking, theological ponderings and continuous prayers and make sense of them for us. Allow us to practise obedient living in the moment. To mature us into thoughtful people who prepare for action and obedience that in the end will result in glory to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment