Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Habitude of Gratitude!

The past few weeks I have been desiring to make a habit of gratitude. My eyes have been hunting for opportunities to receive God in my moments. To know His presence and to be overwhelmed by it. To want Psalm 27:4,

One thing I ask of the LORD,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to seek Him in His temple.


Hurry and impatience have become triggers of ingratitude and a signal for a paradigm shift in thinking.

Here are a few of my thankful moments that have allowed me to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD...

While struggling with the immense task of zipping zippers of a grade one students, tying snotty scarves around exposed chins and curbing petty tattle-tailing I want to walk away and catch a moment in the restroom but am captivated by the gentleness of Mrs. "R" who is fully enjoying a moment of prolonged interaction with her grade 2 student, her little brother and her Mom. I am changed by her peaceful lingering, her honest smile and her sincere words.

Deciding that maybe it just was impossible to ring this little girl into the learning circle today. Maybe it wasn't worth the effort. Maybe she just deserved to be left to her own demise...but knowing that there had to be a way...maybe I just couldn't know it...
finding a moment of quiet...in that, realizing I was once again taking myself too seriously...my call is to love each one of them not to shoo them away...to take lessons from my husband and be silly with them...to entertain their silliness and their penchant for the moment.
She is engaged. She's had a change of heart. So have I. I am thankful for a sense of humour and a husband who broadens mine.

Hurrying home to tell the girls that their favourite song activity scored big subbing points in the classroom. Measured by student comments such as - "You rock!" Seeing their smile.

Some things come into view only because I want to notice them. Like the first light of the day. Our days are becoming longer.

A quiet moment.
A child writing letters on my back when I am tired.
A cozy blanket.
Watching our dog run wild somehow feeling in his winter fur that winter is losing its grip.
An impromptu date with my child.
Crunchy snow underfoot.
An afternoon nap.
A friends visit.
God loving a young heart to Himself.
A cup of warm tea with a new friend.
Knowing that a smile holds no language barrier between an ESL student and a teacher.

Receiving a video from my husband to watch with my son. Daddy knows his son so well.



Laughing with my boy.

Coming to cuddle with my boy at night and finding him with his knees up empathizing with the mini Darth Vader. Trying to use the force himself to raise the bedding. I say, "You use the force every time you ask me to cuddle at night!"

Seeing him smile.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I recently joined in the 1000 gifts blog posts, and it has been such a blessing to me!

    So nice to "meet" you today!
    Melanie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to "meet" you too!!

    I too have been greatly encouraged with Ann's book. I am going to have to check out the 1000 gifts blog posts. I'm excited to hear the gifts of God others have discovered.

    ReplyDelete