Saturday, October 17, 2009

Pilgrimage to Love

In yesterday's study Beth had us reflect on Psalm 116:1-7 and compare it to Psalm 125. What struck me were the Psalmist's opening words; I Love the Lord, for He has heard my voice.

A number of years back while visiting my sister and her family we were all gathered around the kid's sleeping area. Sleeping bags, pillows and mattresses were everywhere. Every child was under the age of 12. We bowed to pray together and at the end of my niece's prayer she said, "I love you Jesus very much, Amen." It was simple and heartfelt and I didn't know if I could end my prayer that way and mean it. It started me on a quest. I wanted to honestly be able to say "I love you very much Jesus. Amen." I started praying that God would show me how to love Him more.

Journaling and reflecting has played a huge role in growing my love for Jesus. Remembering God daily, pointing out God sightings, asking questions like; "What might have happened with [my] life if the LORD had not been on [my] side" (study page 56) and knowing and believing in who God is and what He promises.

It is very clear in the Psalms that we are not removed from trouble. We go through the hard, the sad, the unfair, and the depressing just as we go through the good, beautiful, and inspiring. Eugene Peterson in his book A Long Obedience, says, "[Through the ups and downs of Israel's history], God is steadfastly with them, in mercy and judgment, insistently gracious. We get the feeling that everything is done in the sure, certain environment of the God who redeems his people. And as we learn that, we learn to live not by our feelings about God but by the facts of God."

God is good. He is everything that I want and need.

I love the LORD, for He heard my voice;
He heard my cry for mercy.
Because He turned His ear to me,
I will call on Him as long as I live.
Psalm 116:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment