Sunday, January 24, 2010

Siesta Scripture Memory Team Celebration!


Although I wasn't gutsy enough to wear a pink boa I did end up wearing my very pink scarf to keep me warm while still in cooler temperatures. I also thought it would fill in as a groupee identifier. It was the scarf that connected me to other siesta's within minutes of landing. Truly amazing!

Here we are eating Mexican food together hours after we met. We are from all over! As one of the ladies said, "only God could do that!"

Beth taught us from Psalm 119. How fitting.

There are so many things that I admire about Beth. Most importantly she intentionally points us to God. She is passionate about God. God is her life. Her enthusiasm for teaching and bringing others to believe and love God is thorough, bold and contagious. She is incredibly creative and helps us to remember the main ideas by finding ways for us to remember them. In this case the points of Psalm 119 were given in the form of a run on sentence. The thing that blows me away is her amazing love for other people. It is so evident in her complete thoroughness and respect for our struggles as woman, it is evident in her stories and extremely obvious in the way she interacts with people. Every moment is treated with care and respect. She embodies the title of her ministry "Living Proof."

Events like this remind me of the importance of creating communities that bring glory to God so that we can encourage each other to have no other gods; that living a victorious Christian life is possible.
After the first session we had a meet n' greet... ...and Texas sheet cake. Brilliant idea!This is Amanda, Beth's eldest daughter and LPM Blog manager. What a pleasure to be able to meet her.On Saturday we enjoyed breakfast tacos and some more teaching by Beth. Then we were able to partner up and share our verses.
This was an amazing sight for me. Hundreds of women sharing a years worth of sword drawing and faith building.It was a very personal time for me. This was Lynn and I sharing our verses. She is a fellow Canadian, an Albertan. We were also roommates. What a gift it was for me to be her roommate. I was so thankful for the placing of the scripture memory time part way through the second day. Lynn and I had never met before this weekend and had been introduced by email shortly before the event. On our first night we were able to spend time in the room sharing God's grace in our journey's. She is my new hero. Her obedience and faith so inspiring. I was very moved listening to her speak her verses while knowing parts of her journey. It was living proof of God living through her. Food was a very fun part of the weekend. I had never had Ice Wraps before. They are AMAZING! I've got to find a recipe for them.The weather was beautiful in Houston. We even got to sit by the OUTDOOR pool with bathing suits on and our feet in the water. We couldn't stop saying how beautiful it was all weekend. What a treat! Especially after coming home to a blizzard. I took this picture for my husband. He is NOT a shopper. I think he is allergic because he gets a headache instantly in the mall! This might make a shopping date (really an oxymoron for us) a fun possibility!This was my final supper in Houston. "Sweet" ending to a filling weekend. Three Canadians (from the provinces of Ontario, Manitoba and Alberta). Thank you so much to Beth, Amanda, Melissa and Living Proof staff for the careful and love-filled planning of this weekend. It has spurred us on to knowing and needing God's word to completely permeate our lives.

11 comments:

  1. Nicole, it was so fun to have met you this weekend. Thank you for coming! I loved your recap. The photo from the mall is so funny. I don't think I've seen that TV area before. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post and pictures! I think I met have met you. It was an amazing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I loved this post.

    I grew up in NY by Lake Ontario-we went to Canada every year-we were practically neighbors;)

    Would you mind if I took the picture of us sitting on the wall reciting our verses? There is one of my friend Anne and myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! So fun! You look so familiar. I'm thinking we must have met.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yankee Mama.

    Help yourself to the picture. I don't mind at all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pink scarf Nicole, even if it wasn't a boa it was very pretty. What a privilege and an honor you had in meeting Beth and all these women and her daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my first time to your blog but I must say what a blessing to have been able to participate, and what precious memories each one of us have from the rewards of our labor. Praise His Name!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicole,
    Thanks for sharing! It was such a blessing to meet you last weekend, what a divine appointment eh? It's so fun to see recaps of people's photos since I didn't bring a camera, it will help preserve these precious memories for me for a long time! Blessings Siesta!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun pictures! I loved your post!

    Love pic of everyone saying their verses outside! We stayed inside... bummer we missed out!

    Thanks! Emmy : )

    Mmmm I want that lettuce wrap right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! I think the sheer number of places where you could witness siesta's sharing their verses was inspiring...down hallway's, on the stairs...beautiful.

    Not being near a P.F.Chang's, my husband found the recipe for me, I'm so excited!

    http://www.recipezaar.com/P-F-Changs-Chicken-Lettuce-Wraps-15865

    ReplyDelete
  11. I laughed at your comment about the boa - my teens begged me not to wear mine, so I wore my pink scarf too.

    The lettuce wrap looks scrumptious and I'm glad you found a recipe!

    ReplyDelete