Tuesday, January 26, 2010

You'd go all that way to do what?

Before I left for Houston I had checked out some of the recommended "must-see" tourist spots. I followed one link to the upscale Galleria mall and saw that they had ice skating there. In the mall! I was joking with my eldest daughter that I would have to go 1400mi to go ice skating. We both laughed pretty hard because we have a rink in our own backyard that I have only goofed around on in my boots because she has been using my skates! Those crazy growth spurts of hers! When I accepted Dave's amazing gift to this SMT Celebration I knew that with it came the responsibility of taking in fully what God had opened the doors to allow. My prayer was that I would open myself up to everything God wanted to reveal to me there through the teaching and interaction with others.

During the final hour on my flight into Houston I had suddenly put down my novel and felt an urgent need to journal and clarify my thoughts further.

I think the poor guy sitting next to me thought I had to make a sudden trip to the bathroom!

As I was journaling and really asking a lot of questions I realized that one main point kept popping out at me - God! There is only ONE God. "I am your God." I kind of laughed and said. "You mean you would wait for me to travel 1400mi to tell me, "I am your God!"

After I got home I was sharing this experience with Dave and we were both deep in thought reflecting on the ways of God. Dave and I were imagining the dialogue God and I might be having and I again said (with a touch of sarcasm mixed with being put in my proper place),
"You mean you would wait for me to travel 1400mi to tell me, "I am your God"

the response -

"You mean it took 1400mi for you to see that I am your God!"

I have been humbled by the distances God will go to show His love for us (John 3:16 for starters). It seems absurd at times, even unreal. But it is real. As real as my trip!

We are in the first week of Living Beyond Yourself study and between this trip, my homework and another devotional everything has been pointing to this question "What if my life was lived solely for God?" What if I didn't seek others approval? What if I fully accepted His love? What would that look like?

I feel like I have more questions than answers. But I believe that there are both promises and a pathway. And have assurance that memorizing and believing scripture will direct my next steps. I am also confident that the lamplight is sufficient for the taking of my next step. Psalm 119:105

1 comment:

  1. Nicole,

    Living Beyond Yourself was the very first Beth Moore study I did. I have never been the same since. The questions you listed encouraged my heart today.

    Desiring to live a live solely for God,
    Lora

    ReplyDelete