Monday, April 25, 2011

Down From the Mount!

Easter morning. Brimming over and full of hope. I awake as if I'm already smiling. The sun peaking through the blinds confirms the state of my soul. My day starts earlier than normal because I want enough time. Time to visit the tomb. To meet the angel waiting. Time to hear the Lord speak my name. It has been a journey of sorrow and today all within me wants to celebrate!

I read the familiar resurrection story from all the gospels.

I have seen the Lord. John 20:18

Glowing from my quiet space and time I walk down into the mess of the home. I walk into crying and apathy.

Coming down from the mount is hard. I, like Peter, want to build a shelter so that I can stay in that place. But that is not what we are called to. With each step I am reminded of my former way of life and think how easy, yet defeating it would be to walk that path. But I have been on a journey. I have seen the Lord. Not merely an earthly Messiah but the Soul of Eternity!

I don't always get it but this time I did. My first thoughts were to preserve what I have experienced. To push away anything that will prevent me from keeping leaving the mount. This time, because of the Cross, the fruit is not self serving. It serves. We slowly and carefully enter into the problem and work it out. Dignity is maintained. The love of Christ surely brings a victory.

I need to learn the lesson well. For again, after a celebratory church service, I am reminded that there will be a descent down the mountain. The week will start again. I am left with memories and with promises. How will I live them out in my home and at work? Will I remember? Will the mount inform me?

In the cross is an ocean of love yet unrevealed, a mountain of power still unreleased, and a sea of truth not yet fathomed....There is something utterly exhaustless about the provisions of Calvary.
S. Franklin Logsdon

No comments:

Post a Comment